So look, there are some serious crazies out there in the world and sometimes as a recruiting firm, Search Solution Group gets to see some crazy resumes. A resumé is supposed to be a concise yet detailed description of career achievements and skills that apply to the position in question. We don’t want to see that you played football in high school or that you have three daughters and a pet pig.
From the mouths of some of the best Executive Recruiters, these are some great tips to build an impressive resume.
- Signs of stability are the number one thing that our recruiters look for. When we place a candidate with a company, we want for that person to be committed to the job and not flit around companies from year to year. Non-consistent job history is a turn-off for a recruiter.
- TYPOS! No. Go through your resumé 12 times before sending it. Read it out loud to listen for grammar mistakes. This doesn’t just pertain to spelling or grammar. Having the wrong dates, spacing issues, and text in different fonts are similar typos to watch for. If there is one thing that will get your resume off of a recruiters desk faster than a cheetah on fire, it’s typos.
- Having a relevant objective for the position will win you worlds of credit. It’s all too often that a stated objective on a resume is either not relevant, applies to a previous job application, or completely doesn’t exist. We want to know why you are applying for this job from the first second of looking at the resumé.
- State your job title and the name of the company where you performed that job.
- Education. All we want is the institution, the year, and the degree achieved. A person once submitted a description of their homeschooling experience to our SSG recruiters. It was odd.
- DO remember to include any sort of professional accolades, community service experience, or professional improvement courses you’ve taken. Everyone loves to see a candidate who strives to improve himself outside of the workplace.
Our recruiters at Search Solution Group are experts at building resumes. If you are looking for a great team of recruiters to work with, contact us!